This is probably the most complete cheat about guitar strings !!!
For an acoustic guitar, the sound is the vibration of the strings and then generated by the action of the resonance box. Therefore, the sound of the guitar has a great relationship with the “source” strings and the wood of the body. However, some guitar friends now only pay attention to the choice of the body and ignore the strings – no matter what the strings are, what they usually use. They may think that the guitar strings are nothing more than metal strings and nylon strings. They have the difference in thickness and can make sounds. They don’t care about the strings! This is not the case. The materials produced by different strings are different. Different materials determine different physical properties and thus determine the characteristics of the guitar sound. No matter what kind of playing technique you can’t control and change this objective fact.
It is still necessary to learn some common sense and tricks to choose the strings. At least after buying a new guitar, know how to match the strings according to your needs, instead of relying on the factory settings. In addition to the more and more fake strings nowadays, and then do not pay attention to the choice of strings, it is likely that your strings have been short-lived in this life, and the sound of the guitar is especially fake.
So, let’s take a look at the relevant knowledge of the strings.
Generally, the material of one or two strings is high carbon steel, and the outer layer of the four-five-string string is wound with metal wire. There are many kinds of materials for the outer metal wire, which we can usually see on the outer packaging of the strings. The outer packaging of the strings usually has the words “80/20 Brass” and “80/20 Bronze”, which actually represent the outer material of the strings.
1.80/20 Brass: Brass is the English language for brass. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, and 80/20 is the ratio of copper to zinc. The brass strings are warm and uniform, and the sustain is long. You can use this string if you like to play folk songs.
2.Cupronickel: commonly known as “white copper”, copper-nickel alloy, a copper alloy containing 10% to 30% nickel. This string sound is bright and crisp.
3. 80/20 BRONZE: This copper is bronze, copper and tin alloy, 80/20 is 80% copper and 20% tin. This kind of string is our most common string, if you have a friend who often compares different strings will find out. The strings are crisp and bright, used to play or flamenco-style sweeps, and are often used to finger-pointing, with a little metallic touch.
4. 80/15 BRONZE – Same as above, the composition of 80/15 is 80% copper and 15% tin.
This string sounds similar to the 80/20, but the sound is warmer and the performance is relatively balanced, suitable for a variety of styles of performance. If you don’t know what style of music you like to play, you can prefer this string.
5. Phosphor Bronze: Phosphor is the “phosphorus” in English, that is, phosphor bronze; and bronze itself is an alloy of copper and tin, the ratio is 90/10, which can be written as: 90/10 Bronze, on the basis of which a small amount of 5%) Phosphorus, the synthesis of phosphor bronze, so the phosphorous copper guitar strings are generally more expensive, due to its different raw materials and processes. This kind of string feels harder, but the sound is warmer, and the special playing skills can make the sound longer, which is very suitable for friends who like fingering playing.
6. Stainless Steel: In fact, it is “stainless steel”. Some low-end guitars (burning fire sticks) are used with strings. This kind of strings is not easy to rust, but the sound is like the cotton.
There are a variety of color strings to choose from on the market. If it is for the cool on the surface, you can buy a bunch of back, change one set a day, and you regret it!
7. Composite (Silk & Steel): The translation is “combined strings (wire and steel)”, that is to say, steel strings with nylon strings inside, and the outside is wrapped with silver-plated bronze strings. This material is the Martin M130 string, so the tension is small and it is very easy to press and the sound is quite soft. There is also the use of such strings for classical guitars. Beginners can install such strings or simply choose classical guitars to avoid the ruin of metal strings on their fingers.
In addition, some guitar players has summarized the comparison and use of some well-known brands, see the following:
1, D’Addario: Common, but also used by the majority of the players. The middle of the sound is in the middle. Can be used as a practice string.
2. Elixir: Long life, the standard standard of the Taylor piano, for an ordinary piano, replaced with Elixir’s string, the improvement of the sound is obvious, recommended as a practice string, it is really strong! If you use the string oil properly, you can use it for a long time!
It is recommended to use the strings of Phosphor bronze. This sound is more realistic and it takes a while to make the sound warmer.
3. Cleartone: A very hard, very strong string that feels like a bounce. So what kind of music is suitable for playing, everyone should be able to think of it. The sound is really clear, crisp and grainy, the strings are expensive, and a set of strings can be used for a long time.
4. Newtone: This brand has a moderate string tension, clear sound, and is very durable. The songs that are played apart are especially pleasant. It is recommended to use.
5. Dean Markley: It is recommended to players who like Kotaro-Oshio and Masa.
Masa uses 0.11 Dean Markley Alchemy. Kotaro-Oshio uses Blue Steel’s Blue Gang 2025 CL 12-54, and sometimes he also uses 13 Martin, which is very strong. If you use a Sunrise pickup with a good preamp and the sound of Blue Steel’s strings, it is very close to Kotaro-Oshio’s voice. It is recommended.
6. Martin: There are too many types of Martin strings, and they are very thin, and Martin’s guitar is best with the sound of Martin’s strings. The warm, faint Martin sound will come in.
7. Ernieball: This brand is a world-renowned electric string string, a string commonly used in electric guitars. Many people may have never used its acoustic guitar strings. In fact, the effect is actually good. It is a bit like Dean Markley’s feeling. The tension is big. It is recommended to buy it if you never use it before. It is suitable for Rock Style~
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.